When: Saturday, September 20th, 1pm-5pm
Where: Wilshire Boulevard between Alvarado and Wilton (the Socialist Party L.A. Local contingent will be located at Wilshire and Vermont)
What’s going on:
Launched by the Converging Storms Action Network and Sponsored by All Participants
How you can participate: Pick a Corner! Pick a Block! Sign up for a location for you or your group at our website at: http://againstclimatechange.org/
1. View our website map and participant list!
2. Pick your location on WIlshire, fill out the form, and hit Select! You also can sign up for the same site as other groups, or create a zone (e.g.anti-fracking zone) or activity (e.g. bike against climate change caravan!)
3. Inform your members, make plans and materials, outreach to everyone you know, and meet up at your site on Sept20!
ALTERNATIVES: What if I Support the Action, But Can’t Commit to Time and Place, or Can’t Come?
If you can’t sign up for a specific location, you also can:
5 Just Come On Down Sept20 and join whoever is already there, without signing up in advance!
6. Just Endorse Us in Support! If you’re not sure you can come or can’t yet commit to a time and place, just endorse us by signing up on the form at the website!
7. Send me your willingness to participate or endorse, and I will sign you up for you!
8. Spread the word to every group and everyone you know!
Why this action is taking place: As global CO2 levels (driven by fossil fuel use) hit 400 ppm for the first time in millions of years, signs of earth’s disrupted biosphere abound, from rising temperatures and extreme weather to resource shortages and massive die-offs. All trajectories point to a dead planet if we do not bring radical change
now. On Sept20, Southern California will join tens of thousands demonstrating in New York, when the
United Nations meet to discuss the climate crisis. A broad array of organizations, groups, friends, families,
coworkers, and communities will meet on Wilshire, between Alvarado & Wilton, in a chain of interlinking
“Building Blocks” of protest against climate change.
In this new kind of collaborative demonstration, people will gather at a pre-selected corner, intersection, or block, creating their part of a network of protests — like overlapping neighborhood vigils or sidewalk picket lines — extending block after adjacent block. Since we need not agree on points of unity, slogans, or speakers, groups will retain their diverse autonomy, deciding where to gather and what to say, bringing their materials, signs, approach. And because – on sidewalks — we do not need permits or to divert traffic beyond barricades, protestors and public can interact. In this way, our efforts will create a non-virtual, face-to-face, simultaneous “sidewalk step-out,” raising our voices at the same time and place on the same
issue. Together, we will demand that world leaders at the UN implement the policies needed to effectively
Stop Climate Change Now!
Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1450139841931295/